Note: This article has not been updated since June 2016. These are the basics which I tried to cover when I started exploring the language
Real World Applications of Elixir/Erlang
- Bidding - Football
- High Speed Transactions like NASDAQ / Stock Exchanges
What is a Functional Programming Language?
What is Concurrent?
What is Erlang?
What is Elixir?
Elixir[src] is a functional, concurrent and general purpose programming language created by José Valim which is built on top of Erlang VM.Erlang is a functional programming language was a propietary language built by Ericsson, was later opensourced in 1998. The first version was released in 1986 by Joe Armstrong.
Erlang supports hot swapping which means that code can be changed without stopping a system. Erlang systems provide nine nine’s uptime i.e. 99.9999999
My Introduction to Elixir/Erlang
When I first told a friend that I looked at Elixir, he made me watch this video. Lets watch The point I had to take away was - Erlang supports hot swapping of code and can be re-tried in case of failures.
Getting Started with Basics
- Official Website w/ Getting Started
- Elixir in Action from Manning
- The Little Elixir And OTP Guidebook from Manning
- Programming Elixir by PragProg
- Programming Phoenix by PragProg
- ElixirCookbook from PacktPub
- Metaprogramming Elixir by PragProg
- Introducing Elixir from OReilly - Too basic stuff (almost a clone of Introducing Erlang)
- Études for Elixir - Free
Most of the above resources are available in Safari
Tutorials / Practicing
- Elixir School
- Elixir Koans
- Elixir Online
- Elixir Fountain
- the default Phoenix app when it boots uses about 15 megabytes of memorysource - read/listen through
(One of my favourite episodes)
- Elixir Conf 2014
- Elixir Conf 2015
- Elixir Daze 2016 - March 16, 2016
- Erlang Factory Keynote Phoenix & Elm - March 10, 2016
- Joe Armstrong’s Take on Elixir (2013)
- Elixir/Erlang List on Twitter
- A small Rails App moved to Phoenix. Their thoughts on moving to Phoenix
How Erlang Does Scheduling Based on Erlang R15
https://vimeo.com/108441214 - general video
write about integrating - https://github.com/Cobenian/raygun
Phoenix (The Web Application Library)
- http://elviovicosa.com/books/versioned-apis-with-phoenix - free ebook
- Phoenix Screencasts